Should I Challenge an Assessment of my Property?

Real Estate Law

A property assessment provides an approximation of the value of your property in order to estimate property taxes. This is known as an “appraised value.” The County Assessor is typically responsible for conducting the assessment. Unlike an appraisal, which is performed in order to determine the value of a home for resale purposes, an assessment is conducted by the local government.

There are different methods for calculating an assessment. In some cases, homeowners may believe that an error was made in the assessment. A homeowner may redress an error in an assessment through a formal appeal. Typically, the alleged error involves an over-valuation of the property, which results in the assessor’s calculation being higher than the actual value of the home and can be detrimental to a homeowner. A property that is identified as having a higher value than it is actually worth will result in a higher tax bill. If these overpayments accumulate over many years, then the homeowner can potentially lose a large sum of money. A homeowner who overpaid based on a faulty assessment is entitled to recoup the overstated tax amounts.

If you have evidence that your home was wrongly assessed, it may be advisable to challenge the assessment. A “Notice of Assessment” sent to each homeowner typically outlines the process for appealing your assessment. Before initiating a challenge, it is important to collect evidence that demonstrates that you have overpaid in taxes. In order to demonstrate an erroneous assessment, you should locate all records evidencing your property valuation, including past assessments. Most importantly, you should gather information about neighboring properties. This includes assessment values of comparable homes in your vicinity. Last, you should review the assessment to locate obvious errors of fact or judgment, such as mistaken information about an important feature of the home.

You must show there was a real error in the assessment that impacted the listed home’s value in order to prevail in the appeal. In the event your appeal is dismissed, you may be able to bring the complaint to a higher authority. The last resort could be a civil lawsuit if you are not satisfied with the outcome.

The experienced team of attorneys at the Law Offices of Mark Weinstein, P.C. can help you litigate your real estate claims. Contact Mark Weinstein and his colleagues at (770) 888-7707 or visit them at to find out how they can advise you.

Previous Post
Balancing Interests in a Nuisance Claim
Next Post
Just How is “Just Compensation” Determined in an Eminent Domain Proceeding?
If You Have a Real Estate or Business Law Issue You Need Help With, Don’t Wait. Contact Us and Schedule a Consultation.
Font Resize